Turkey Meatballs over Spaghetti Squash
This 21-Day Fix friendly recipe is so great when you are eating clean and healthy and are craving spaghetti and meatballs but don’t want the extra calories and starchy gut bloating pasta. Another bonus is it’s a quick prep.
- 1 Lb ground turkey or chicken
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 cup Italian style whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp each of parsley, oregano, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
- 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes for some kick (optional)
- olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion
- Large Jar of spaghetti sauce
- Slice squash in 2 inch circles and remove seeds.
- Place on cookie sheet and hit each side with olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Bake on 425 for 1 hour flipping them at the 30 min mark.
- Let cool for 5 min and pull squash apart with two forks.
- Finely chop onion and add everything but sauce and spaghetti squash to a large bowl.
- Mix everything together, I use my hands.
- Use an ice cream scooper or hands to form meatballs and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake on 400 for 15 min or until browned.
- Pour sauce into large pot and add meatballs. Simmer for 1hr.
Alternative crock pot method:
- Pour sauce into crock pot
- Add raw meatballs and cook on low for 6 hours.
21-day fix portions:
- 2 meat balls = 1 red
- Squash = 1 green
- Sauce = 1 purple
- Optional –Top with shredded cheese = 1 blue